The world-famous Altenberg Cathedral, often also called the "Bergischer Dom", is the church of the former Cistercian abbey Altenberg (1133 - 1803) and today the parish church of the Cath. Parish of the Assumption of Mary, Altenberg.
The church was built according to French models (1259-1379) as a topless transept basilica with ambulatory and chapel wreath. After a fire in 1815, reconstruction took place from 1833 to 1847. Since 1857, it has been shared by Protestant Christians on the orders of the Prussian King.
Altenberg is a district of Odenthal, between Bergisch Gladbach and Leverkusen, North Rhine-Westfalia, and is situated about 20 km northeast of Cologne on the Dhünn, a tributary of the Wupper. Distance to the PHÖNIX is about 65 km.
Further information can be found at www.altenberger-dom.de